Top 5 Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands
I still remember the day like it was yesterday. Perhaps it’s because it was literally only a year ago or maybe it's because these are things that once you've seen you’ll never forget. I was scrolling through my Facebook feed when an article popped up about the testing on animals for cosmetic use around the world. Out of curiosity, I clicked the link. There were the test bunnies, beagles, cats and mice - sitting there with a look of pure terror and visible bloody spots and burns on their fur from horrible testing practices. I was disgusted and started researching more. When I learned that numerous brands we use every day still test on animals I was outraged. I had no idea. All I could do was think about my own cats and if the tables were turned. I pledged that day to stop contributing to companies like Estee Lauder, L’Oréal, Neutrogena and countless others. I would buy cruelty-free options going forward.
It took a bit of time, but I can confidently say that the majority of products in my apartment are now cruelty-free alternatives.
Did you know?
- In the United States, over 100 million animals are still to this day, suffering and dying from testing practices
- Things you would never think of are tested on animals: Windex, post-it notes, condoms, chocolate bars, and Vaseline
- Most animal testing laws allow it so animals can be burned, poisoned, drowned, starved, and even addicted to drugs that can cause brain damage
So, are you feeling as angry as I do about this outdated, unethical, inhumane practice? Good, you should. Stop supporting these insane companies and pick up some cruelty-free options at your closest Sephora or drugstore today.
Disclaimer: Though these are all cruelty-free brands, not every product is 100% vegan. You may find ingredients like honey, beeswax, carmine (basically ground up insects used for their red coloring), etc.
My Current Top 5 Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands:
1.) KAT VON D
Kat Von D is one badass chick. Not only does she rock some pretty amazing tattoos and own the cutest hairless cats, but she’s also a vegan and animal activist. Because of this, her makeup line has a lot of great vegan options and nothing is tested on animals.
What I ♥:
2.) TOO FACED
Power-couple Jerrod Blandino and Jeremy Johnson, created Too Faced twenty years ago. You probably know Too Faced from the popular Better Than Sex mascara, but did you know that the duo created the first ever glitter eye shadow?
What I ♥:
3.) LUSH COSMETICS
My Lush stockpile is growing out of control – and I don’t hate it. They are my go-to when it comes to shower gel, face wash, moisturizer, and many others. All products are handmade and of course never tested on animals. In fact, they only buy ingredients from companies who also never support these practices. Fun fact: In 1989, one of Lush’s co-founders, Mo Constantine, created the world’s first ever bath bomb!
What I ♥:
4.) ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS
Every time I look at my brows, I am reminded of the mistakes I made in middle school when over-plucking was, for whatever bizarre reason, a thing. Thanks to their amazing products, these brows have been forever saved. Founder, Anastasia Soare has been killin’ it since day one. Her first celebrity brow clients were Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell.
What I ♥:
5.) URBAN DECAY
Urban Decay is known for being innovative, edgy and bold. Though L’Oréal bought them in 2012, they have stayed true to their ethical views on animal-testing and every product has remained cruelty-free.
What I ♥:
In today’s world, it’s no longer a legal obligation to test any cosmetics and their accompanied ingredients on animals - approximately 20,000 are already proven to be safe. Thanks to advanced technology, there are alternative ways to test without harming any animals in the process. I encourage you all to consider which brand you’re giving your hard-earned money to the next time you’re headed to the mall.
- Scheler, S. (2017, March 07). Everything You Need to Know About Animal Testing. https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/cruelty-free-101/the-revolution/
- Cruelty to Animals in Laboratories. https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-experimentation/animals-laboratories/
- Jacques, R. (2016, January 17). 5 Amazing Things You Never Knew About Too Faced Cosmetics. https://www.allure.com/story/too-faced-cosmetics-history
- Lynsay. (2015, July 07). 20 Fun Facts About Lush Cosmetics. http://lynsayloves.com/20-fun-facts-about-lush/
- Our Values: Fighting Animal Testing. https://www.lush.ca/en/Stories-Article?cid=article_our-values-fighting-stories